Friday, November 14, 2008

Of So-Longs and Farewells

I realize that the most important events in my life do not end up being chronicled in here. There are a number of reasons for that. For one, some of them are just too personal to tell, while others just cannot be properly captured by words, at least not by my being a pseudo-writer. Not yet. Another reason is that the event is too emotionally significant, so near the fact that putting it to words is too painful. By the time it feels better, many of the finer details, which are often the ones that matter most, are lost to time and the fallibility of human memory.
Some of these still make it in here, but they end up being half-hearted, just written for the sake of being written so as to avoid losing, but not truly captured. I will do my best to ensure that this latest event does not attend this latter category.

Last Tuesday, a major change in my career history has taken place. Chase Card Services, the account I have been supporting for the past three years bade goodbye to the company. This meant a lot to me. I pioneered the account and it was where I developed in my career. It did not actually post as a threat to my career as I was automatically absorbed by my current mother campaign. What I am sappier about is that I had to say goodbye to a group of people which I deem not just colleagues but are dear friends which (for most times) felt like family. The only consolation is that I am not really saying goodbye to any of these people because I can still keep up with them as they will just be transferred to other home accounts. But of course, it will be a lot different from what we have been used to.


You know how it feels like when a time and place get to you? Reaching the end, I would not want to overdo the describing how-it-feels. I am afraid I might not pull it off just right. Chase has been our home, and we are a family. Now the home has crumbled and we are now orphans, most of us seeking new shelters. The times at Chase will surely be missed. The tough times, (and there were a lot..), and the sad ones that made strong mud and wood for the home. What I miss the most is the larger and brighter part of the pie – the laughing-out-loud moments. The times when we laughed our hearts out, almost dying due to lack of oxygen – and we liked it. I will surely miss the moments when we worked our asses out, meeting deadlines, audits and all. There are a lot to look back to. Now, everything is history.

To the people I crossed shoulders with because of Chase:
Alvin – my ex-protégé/partner/horse-playing-partner. I wish Chase times were longer so I can make you ache ‘til you drop.
Paula – One of my best friends. We made our way in our careers almost together. My confidant, my excel guru. My go-to girl!!

The ones who went ahead before the official closing:
Glory – my kumare/gossip-partner/shock absorber/reports generator/QA orienteer
Reb – my dear friend/the evil step sister/reports generator/shock absorber/report generator/last minute guy/gal/QA orienteer.
Jiro - my crazy moments partner. Thank you for sharing with me the art of gossiping! (laughs)
Kath – Laughing buddy/Performance reviews-partner. Darn, I will miss the Tuesday WPRs!!

The verifiers – the times shall surely be missed.
To the coaches and mentors who hastened my job in making sure new associates perform, you guys are awesome!
The leaders whom I learned a lot from, I salute you!! It has been great working with you.

I know that this parting of ways is a necessary step for each of us. Yes, this chapter of our lives holds so many amazing times that makes it difficult to leave behind. The more I think about it, the more I realize, that these times should be given the opportunity to continue someday. Company Accounts are not forever, but friendships can be.

Life makes wonders. The same paths that say we must part ways may yet be the ones which will bring us together again.

For all that has been, and for all that still will be….

ISANG TAOS-PUSONG PASASALAMAT.


No comments: